Tuesday, January 22, 2008

"Lets Get to Work"

Dad looks great today. About 2:30 this afternoon, Pam and I sat down with dad and talked to him about the great opportunity we have for him to get better at a great facility here in town - where he can get therapy 6 days a week. He immediately said, "let's get to work then." He told us he's been wondering when he would "get back to work like he was doing before" (meaning rehab). He said, "it's nice here (referring to our house) but I need to get back on schedule." So right now we are waiting on the doctors office to send the remaining paperwork via fax to the facility before we can take him there. Taking him there is going to be the hard part I think. I am not sure he understands that he is going to be staying there overnight, but we'll see how it goes. I do believe he really wants to get better and he would do anything to get better. I was just talking with his occupational therapist with home health, who ironically also will be working with him at the new facility and she said that many of those on the therapy team know dad and are excited about getting to work with him. That was a God sign for me - I have been praying all day about this and I asked God, "if this is not what we are supposed to do. . . then give us a sign, but if you feel this is what is best for dad, then help us to get all of the paperwork thru before midnight."

I have a favor to ask all of you. Please don't tell people we are "putting dad in a nursing home." We are not. We are blessed to be able to get dad into a "post-acute rehab" program, which happens to be at Heartland. And although for years, locals have known this facility for its nursing home services, they now have a brand new "therapy gym" with a full staff of certified and trained therapists who work with people who are post-surgery/post-hospital/post-acute rehab to get better thru a "short-term" stay. I know I may sound sensitive about it - and honestly I am. Dad needs therapy daily and he can get it there while under the care of a great nursing staff too. Don't worry, we'll be there every day and we invite you to come see him and encourage him to get better too. It won't be long. . .when the weather gets warm and baseball season starts. . . that we'll be bringing him home again, stronger & better - and hopefully for dad we'll be bringing him home with the ability to really enjoy life again!

I will post later tonight after we get him settled and when I get home. Right now, I am going to enjoy watching tv and talking with my dad before its time to leave.

2 comments:

Viewer said...

MaryBeth~I am so happy to hear that you have been blessed with finding this program for Shug. This will be great for him! You and your family are always in my prayers. Love, Jody

Carter family said...

God is SO AMAZING! He has so many blessings for those who are His own. We pray you will all be encouraged by the people He has sent who have been trained to help Shug with exactly what he needs on his road to complete recovery. May you all rest peacefully in His care. You are all in our prayers. Love & Prayers, Chris & Boys